2.2.10 On Ball Screens – Dribbler Options
On Ball Screens
Setting a screen for the player that has the ball is very common, often with a “big” setting the screen for a guard. The screen is set in the same way as for an off ball screen (i.e. visual and verbal communication and coming to a jump stop).
Options that all players must be able to execute are:
- “turn the corner” and penetrate to the keyway (not just dribble around the 3pt line). They should aim to have both feet in the keyway and be ready to shoot or pass
- “split” between the two defenders, using a cross-over dribble to quickly change direction
- “runner” – on penetration be able to shoot a shot at the top of the keyway whilst on the move – using lay-up footwork
- “step back” – if the defender guarding the dribbler goes under the screen, the dribbler must be able to step back and shoot a perimeter shot . A “step back” is also used if the defender is close to the dribbler to create the space to shoot.
- “slip the screen” – if the defender guarding the screener steps high to put pressure on the ball, the screener must be able to “slip” and cut to the basket before setting the screen
- “roll” – after the dribbler uses the screen, the screener must be able to reverse pivot (“belly to the ball”) and cut to the basket. The “Pick and Roll” is a fundamental play, similar to “Give and Go”
- “flare” or “pop” – after the dribbler uses the screen, the screener must be able to flare to the perimeter to receive a pass from the dribbler. The screener must then be able to shoot a perimeter shot, pass or drive.
“Pick & Roll screen – corner”
Dribbler: Drive hard to the elbow (separation)
Screener: Roll “belly to the ball” 21 to move to the basket
Corner: Lift out of corner and fill where the ball started
If dribbler can’t score or hit the roller look back to the corner player lifting to the wing who may be able to pass to the post player
“Pick & Roll – screen the screener”
- Drive hard to the elbow (separation)
- Look to pass to the screener on the roll
- Wait after the dribbler has driven off your shoulder
- Use the screen to get to the basket
- Back screen the screeners defender
If dribbler can’t score or hit the roller look to pass to either wing.
“Pick & Roll – pop”
- Drive hard off the screen (separation)
- Look back at the screener who “pops” to the 3 point line
- Step to the foul line and “pop” back to the 3 point line
- Step to the basket and “duck in” (as the screener catches, attack defenders high foot)
- If fronted look to seal for lob