- Assess each of your player’s ability to cope with adversity during a game (e.g. incorrect calls by a referee, physical play from opponents). Have them also assess themselves – discuss with each player any discrepancies.
- How well do you manage “stress” in a game? Ask some colleagues to observe you coaching in a game and discuss with them how they think you cope with stress.
- Discuss with a coaching colleague how they would help an athlete that gets so nervous before a game that it affects their performance. What do you do?
- Ask family members how well they think you control your emotions generally. Are you different when you coach?
- Consider your upcoming opponent and visualise aspects of how you think they will play. Does this help you in preparing for the game?