- Ask each player to write down your team rules.Do they write down all the rules that you thought were in place?
- Discuss with a colleague how you each communicate your team rules and expectations.
- Reflect upon the last time a parent raised an issue with you. To what extent (if at all):
- Did the parent have different expectations about the situation than you did; b. Could you have done something earlier to avoid the situation occurring?
- What goals might you set for a team that you expect to lose an upcoming match to a better opponent?
- Would your answer to question 4 change if you thought that your team could lose by 60 points (based upon the relative skill of the teams).
- Discuss with a coaching colleague the difference between goals that are “process orientated” and goals that are “outcome focused”. In what circumstances do you use the different types of goals?
- What is your response to the statement “sport is a contested activity and there must always be a winner and loser. Winning is therefore the most important thing”?
- How is “success” different to “winning”? Which do you think is most important for junior teams?